The IZKF Würzburg continuously funds about 20-30 projects in six thematic focus areas (see below) within the scientific focus of the Medical Faculty of the University of Würzburg.
Interdisciplinarity between clinical research and basic biomedical research is a necessary criterion for funding.
A – Pathological inflammatory responses
B – Malignant transformation and tumor/host interactions
D – Transplantation und Tissue Engineering
E – Vasculopathies and myocardial diseases
F – New diagnostic and imaging techniques
N – Clinical and molecular neurobiology
The project funding aims at strengthening clinical research with a special focus on the interdisciplinarity between clinical research and basic biomedical research.
- Funding is granted according to the guidelines of the IZKF and thus serves to strengthen the inter-connection and further advancement of the major scientific topics of the Medical Faculty.
- Funding is provided for interdisciplinary, high quality and innovative research projects that can be expected to be transferred to external third party funding.
- As a rule, these are cooperation projects between clinical researchers and basic biomedical scientists.
- The aim of our IZKF project funding is to bring your project to a stage from where you can apply for third-party funding. Funding is not provided for projects which, due to the high level of expertise of the applicants and/or corresponding preparatory work, are very likely to be transferred to external funding immediately. A corresponding explanation is now part of the project description. All reviewers will be asked to review each proposal from this perspective.
- Improving the management and handling of research data is a priority both for national and international research organisations and for science in general. If research data or information will be systematically produced in the project, explain the nature, scope and documentation of the data and how they will be stored. In addition, please discuss the possibility of subsequent reuse by other researchers.
Eligible to apply are postdoctoral researchers
- of the Würzburg University Hospital (budget 1518) and
- of the University of Würzburg (budget 1517), but only in collaboration with applicants from the University Hospital.
In general, two to max. three applicants from at least two different institutions submit an application (a sole application is not possible!). If you plan to admit further applicants, please contact the IZKF-office. The programme is particularly aimed at researchers who do not yet hold a chair. We recommend that department chairs serve as mentors in the proposal.
a. Employees who are financed by third-party funds can submit an application in certain cases after considering the individual requirements. Please contact the IZKF office!
b. The number of proposals per applicant is limited to a maximum of two proposals. Within the IZKF project funding, you can have max. two projects that are funded at the same time
c. In order to increase the number of women in our project funding, we highly encourage the participation of female scientists
You can submit your proposal from February 22nd until March 31st 2021 via the IZKF-application platform OPI: opi.ukw.de
Obligatory information for the project description can be found in the "IZKF-Proposal Guidelines". Proposals that do not meet the formal requirements cannot be forwarded to the review process.
You will need the following documents for you proposal:
The review process at the IZKF has two stages:
1st stage: Internal review process
- The applicants submit a project proposal.
- The proposal is evaluated internally by experts from the University Hospital and the University of Würzburg for eligibility for funding.
- Based on these evaluations, the IZKF board pre-selects proposals for the external review. Applicants are invited to present their proposals in person during the External Evaluation (October 7th 2021).
2nd stage: External evaluation
- The pre-selected proposals are forwarded to the External Scientific Advisory Board (ESAB) of the IZKF. The ESAB is invited to Würzburg to review the proposals on site.
- In the case of a funding recommendation by the ESAB, the IZKF Executive Board makes a final decision according to the available funds. Negative votes of the ESAB are binding for the Executive Board.
A list of all currently funded projects can be found here.